layout

Friday, May 14, 2010

Headband Display DIY Tutorial


I saw this somewhere online a while back and wanted to make one to have for displaying my headbands at shows.   If anyone wants to know how I did it, here is a DIY tutorial so you can make one of your own.

I will try to explain and if you have any questions, just contact me and I will help as much as possible.

Supplies needed:
PVC pipe {I used 4 inch diameter, 2 feet wide}
Wooden Dowel {1 inch Diameter}
Wooden board for base  { I bought a precut peice in the mailbox section at Lowes for around $2}
Fabric for covering the pipe { I used black imitation animal skin look fabric. }


Cut your dowel into 2 peices {You will figure your own measurements on height in relation to where you will be displaying.}

Drill 2 holes in you base board and PVC pipe.  Make sure these holes line up because your dowels will sit here running from your base through the pipe.

Once your holes are drilled and your sure they line up and everything will fit together nicely, paint your wood the color you choose and cover your PVC with your fabric.

I covered my PVC by cutting enough fabric to wrap around leaving a little to tuck in the middle.  I used a thin line of glue to hold the end and clamped until dry.  Once that was dry, I used spray adhesive on the entire peice of fabric and rolled the PVC until it was covered.  At the end, I folded the fabric over and used another thin line of glue and clamped until dry.  When that dries, I tucked in the edges and used small dabs of glue to glue my edges into the pipe making sure it would lay flat.   Find the holes you drilled and cut an x there.  Cut off the excess fabric covering the hole.

Now you are ready to put everything together. {As long as all paint and glue has dried.}  First, squeeze a small amount of wood glue into your holes on the base board.  Sit your dowels into these holes and then  slide your PVC onto the dowels. 

Thats it!  Your all finished and now have a FABULOUS display for all of your beautiful headbands!!!!  YAY!!!!  Pat yourself on the back! {Please dont forget to pat your husband on the back if he helped...  We know they love praise! }

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is a very good idea.. i think i will have my husband help me with this project however i will prob. not glue the PVC to the wooden dowels as i would need to lift it to put the type of items i would be useing it for.. i will also need more than 2 feet but think that we could make 3 of these one shorter in height a second a little taller and a third even taller than the second.. this would of course be a display at a craft fair..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes I need mine to detach as well. I'm thinking of still using the dowels and attaching them to the board base.I will put two going the length of the board about 3-4'' apart and the resting the pipe in the middle. That way the pipe doesn't roll off but can be detachable from the base. Easy to store it and pack away to travel to shows as well as able to display any type of headband. Open or closed bands :) THANKS

    ReplyDelete